A marriage certificate is an official statement that two people are married. In most jurisdictions, a marriage certificate is issued by a government official only after the civil registration of the marriage.

  • Satisfaction 100% Guaranteed
  • Flexible service delivery
  • Quick service

  • How to proceed if you need certified translation services. 

    Marriage certificate translation. 

    The official translation of a marriage certificate between a foreigner and a native of a state where marriage was solemnized requires the translated document be bound by a professional translator with the original document issued by the respective state.

    You might also need a translation of your replacement marriage certificate in case you lost one.  

    The official marriage certificate translation consists of (usually) four pages, which the translator endorses with his official stamp. 

    Front page: Identifies the official translator and the client. 

    The client identification must include: first and last name and the address of the person who is placing the translation order or the person the marriage certificate refers to. 

    Second page:  a second copy of the marriage certificate. 

    If you wish a duplicate of your marriage certificate be issued in Slovakia, provided your marriage was solemnized in the Slovak Republic, you need to apply for the document by presenting your valid national ID or a valid passport to any Bureau of Vital Statistics or any Registry, depending on the term you prefer.  

    Public documents intended to be used abroad require higher verification, the so-called legalisation, if they are to be submitted to the authorities of a foreign state. Legalisation of marriage certificates is done by means of an apostille.

    Where to get an apostilled marriage certificate?

    The marriage certificate is legalised by attaching an apostille thereto by any authority you may be referred to by the registrar, depending on the country issuing the marriage certificate. 

    In Slovakia, such authority lies with the Office of District Administration, Department of General Internal Administration. 

    In the United States, a marriage certificate is issued by a government official officiating the marriage. 

    In England and Wales, the marriage certificates are issued by registration districts controlled by a superintendant registrar. 

    Those authorities shall provide you with the information where to have your marriage certificate apostilled for use abroad. 

    Third page: translation of the marriage certificate into a foreign language. 

    The translation must be done by an official translator authorised by the judicial authorities of the respective state.    

    Fourth page: translator's certificate. The last page of the official translation of the marriage certificate includes the translator's declaration stating that this is a true and correct translation of the original. It bears the imprint of the translator's official stamp and his signature. 

    What to do if I already have an apostilled marriage certificate?

    1. All pages of the apostilled marriage certificate must be scanned.

    2. Upload the scanned document via ILUMINATA e-shop at or attach it to an e-mail addressed to   

    3. Select the target language. 

    4. According to the target language and the method of delivery and picking up the physical copy of the marriage certificate, you will receive an e-bill with the date and manner of delivery. 


    Client request: official translation of the marriage certificate from Slovak into English to be collected in person in Žilina

    How to proceed: 

    1. Upload the scanned marriage certificate

    2. Specify target language

    3. Pay the invoice 

    4. Book your collection time with the ILUMINATA representative in Žilina at or by calling +421 902 217 997.

    5. Do not forget to bring the apostilled copy of the marriage certificate with you. 

    6. Pick up your translation within 24 hours of payment as per your appointment. 


Related Products